Thursday, January 11, 2007

UKcg's list of quotable quotes you didn't know you wish you knew

Lately, I've found myself stumbling across exceptional reading material overflowing with quotable insights, quips, and witticisms. They've become so apparant that it seems a crime not to share them with others. Therefore, in no particular order:

1) "Geography has fallen on hard times...[it] emits a sulfurous odor of heresy...it tells an unpleasant truth, namely, that nature like life is unfair...Geography, in short, brings bad tidings, and everyone knows what you do to that kind of messenger." - David Landes in The Wealth and Poverty of Nations, p. 3-5.

2) "Dead people do not count as ill..." - David Landes in The Wealth and Poverty of Nations, p. 11.

3) "But I figure I won the cosmic lottery just by being born in America, a country where I can not only work on a college degree at age 48, but also find scholarships and education grants to help me pay for it. I have a roof over my head, food every day, family and friends, and occasionally even a $10 student ticket to the Seattle Symphony. Some days I feel like the luckiest person in the world." - Donna Freedman in "Surviving (and thriving) on $12,000 a year"

4) "...research indicates that assets of just $2,200 per adult place a household in the top half of the world's wealthiest...Sure, you can now be proud that you're rich. But take a moment to think about it...if it takes just a couple of thousand dollars to qualify as rich in this world, imagine what it means to be poor." - Marketwatch in "Got $2,200? In this world you're rich"

5) "...we live on islands of fortune within an ocean of poverty..." Omer Belsky in a review on Amazon of David Landes book cited above.

6) "Do you see the love?" - Lauren in a beautiful picture she made for me, please see below.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And yes, my bit o' cookie, I do see the love. *smooches*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home