Thursday, December 07, 2006

I caught myself pacing today...

I've been consistently moving from one critical and time-sensitive activity to the next for over a month now and I've officially reached my "so productive I can't stop" mode. Juggling the demands of convening a seminar, networking with eminent historians, analysing 1,600 pages of parish demographic records (read: marriages, baptisms, and burials), trying to write a thesis chapter, and going through the selection process for my dream student job, has forced me to become super-regimented with my time. In many ways being this organised and productive is rewarding. However, continuing this way for so long has rewired my body/mind and now if I'm not always doing something that demands critical focus things go a bit haywire.

The result of this faulty rewiring seems to be the rather frantic pacing I caught myself doing today. I imagine I resembled a tennis ball bouncing back and forth across my room - perhaps the freakiest part was that I had no idea I was pacing until I had been doing it for quite some time. I tried to sit down and relax, but I would immediately pop out of the chair to go check my email, then to my sink to get a glass of water, then back to the chair, then back to the computer, then back to the sink...over and over, with only a few seconds in between each action. The whole time my mind was trying to figure out what I needed to be doing. I had just finished going through an interview and activity assessment this morning for the dream student job (I think it went really well - I'll know one way or the other by early next week!), and while I do have some writing that needs to be done by the weekend, I had planned a few hours of chill time as a reward if the interview/assessment went well. Unfortunately, my body simply won't let me relax, which is a big bummer when relaxing time is in short supply.

Ah well, at least I'm not pacing anymore. That has to be a step in the right direction.

PS - To all those who I owe emails to, I'm truly sorry for my lag in response. It's been a rather insane work period. I will be in touch soon!

2 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a panic attack. Hang in there. Only 10 days till you come home for the holidays.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kevin, Tiff. Sounds like you have been experiencing heightened stress and anxiety for a long time and your body is still creating those hormones. I would just sit down and do some deep breathing. Nice deep breath in, hold it, slowly exhale, and hold. Repeat. Your brain and body will relax almost instantly. Way to go with staying on top of all this chaos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home