Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The ukcidergirl braves

The people I love most in this world are the handful of brave souls who adore me for my strengths but also help me see my weaknesses. Far from being ukcidergirl groupies and, oh yes, the ukcidergirl groupies exist ;), the "ukcidergirl braves," as I like to think of them, are people who in the midst of bestowing big congratulatory hugs point their finger out towards the horizon to help me see my next challenge. While they let me celebrate my success, they don't let me revel in it. They keep me grounded, humble, and real. In short, they are the touchstones who keep me from falling victim to megalomania, which is a struggle for any good Leo.

Recently, I had one of those moments where a brave (who may not even know I consider them one) truly helped expand my intellectual world by the smallest of gestures...they simply suggested some website links to help keep me in touch with current events in the States. Now, I admit I've been awful about keeping up to date on what's been happening in the US since I became an ex-pat, and that was clearly illuminated when I was visiting with 30 friends from Portland over the last few weeks. I was embarrassed when in conversation I couldn't remember specifics about Karl Rove outside of "the evil dude who is the spindoctor for W." Hmmm...I'm suspecting in an intellectual debate it would be better for me to just pretend I'd never even heard of Rove, as calling him a "dude" of any sort will most likely get my Oxford library card immediately revoked.

In an effort to kickstart the atrophied parts of my brain that used to grasp modern American politics and current events, I spent a large portion of this afternoon catching up on the particulars of how the evil dudes in Washington are not only up a creek without a paddle, but also sending us swiftly to hell in a handbasket. Since it was only my first day back in the current event saddle, I'm still discussing such topics in euphemisms. I'll let you know when I'm sufficiently reschooled to the point where I can discuss who Karl Rove is without thinking he is somehow attached to Black Magic and the Occult. ;)

One serious point though - to all my family and friends living in West Virginia, please write Senator Rockefeller urging him to help stop a Republican attempt to delay the investigation by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence of the Bush Administration's handling of the Iraq war. Rockefeller is in a position where he could do something, but it seems he is not inclined to act. You can read the full account of what's happening with the Republican stonewalling effort here: click me

Also, if you want to see the internet stay free and open and not, in effect, "owned" by large telecom corps, please read this and consider signing the petition (I did.).

1 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Robin V. Chen - Yoga Teacher said...

Ok, now you're more up to date than me, girlie! I feel like a slacker! :)

It was great to see ya in Engerland! Hope you're recovering better than the rest of us from all the festivities! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home