Monday, February 06, 2006

How to be a Superstar...Jem style

Oh my. I just spent the last hour winding down and trying to get sleepy by reconnecting with a long lost love...and when I say "lost," I mean "axed by Hasbro" and when I say "love," I mean "made me forget about My Little Ponies" - while this may not sound like love, believe me, for a little girl in 1985, it was.

Mom, remember when I told you I wanted to be a rock video girl when I grew up, and you promptly considered locking me in my room until I was 50? Well, it was the "truly, truly, truly, outrageous...ohhohh, ohhohh" Jem and the Holograms who you can blame for creating that desire. While Indiana Jones proved to have the more lasting effect on my occupational aspirations, Jem definitely gave poor Indy a run for his money. Seriously, this show may have only aired for three years, but to make an impression on me, one show would have been enough. Three whole seasons was like a lifetime back then. By the end of the run, I couldn't remember a time when Jem hadn't existed.

While the Transformers were whining about energon cubes, and GI Joes were freaking out about snake people, Jem and the Holograms were teaching us kids the important stuff...like how to be a superstar and use your powers for good! *Showtime Synergy*

4 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Hmmm...when I posted this my Me Meme seems to have disappered...sorry about that guys...for those who got to see it, now you know 5 things the others don't! I'll try to put my meme back together tomorrow. Gotta sleep now.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Jem. Especially the theme song, "Jem is truly outragous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous... JEM!"
At least, that's the way I remember it. You need this shirt:
http://tinyurl.com/abhkd
-Betsy

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Robin V. Chen - Yoga Teacher said...

You are Jemalicious, Tiff!

I never watched Jem. I was a Transformers girl. Which totally prepared me for my current job at a truck manufacturing company ;)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

I actually really liked the Transformers and Gi Joe too. I still love watching "Transformers, The Movie." It's the only kid's cartoon I've found where the censors somehow allowed sh*t to be said onscreen in front of millions of kiddies. :)

That's a great shirt, Bets! The wonderful Katiebug gave me a very cool Jem shirt for a going away present when I left Portland - check it out here: http://www.80stees.com/products/Junk-Food-Jem-Holograms-Misfits-shirt.asp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home