Sunday, March 12, 2006

Flight of the Bumblebee

So, I was in the middle of watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 (episode 107 - Monster Robot) when during one of the skits Joel brought up the whole "flight of the bumblebee" physics problem. The way Joel put it "physics has yet to explain how bumblebees fly...their bodies are too big for their wingspan...physics says bumblebees can't fly, but they fly...go figure, Tom Servo." This leads to a cute few seconds of Tom Servo trying to use his robot brain to answer the question and then his head bursts into flames. Now, as cute as all that was, I was intrigued because I had never heard about this bumblebee quandary before today (I've never taken physics, although I did sit-in on one class an ex-bf was taking in undergrad, I remember thinking it seemed much more my style than Chemistry...but, I digress). Anyway, the point is that I was sufficiently intrigued to do some online research into physicists' issues with the flight of bumblebees. After only a few moments of good research, I found a really intriguing article.

While you can't believe everything you read (and I plan to ask my physicist Bradad about this at the next opportunity), it would seem from the cited article that Physics actually can explain the flight of the bumblebee. What it can't explain is the perpetuation of misinformation...or maybe that falls under Newton's First Law. If so, let me add whatever possible weight I may have towards the unbalanced force...

1)Flying bumblebees are not miraculous, at least no more miraculous than me riding a bike.

2)Proving science fallible does not prove that god exists - it only reinforces that neither science nor religion contains all the answers.

Also, why do people look for moralistic stories in the flight of bumblebees? I'm sure I could come up with a bumblebee moral about how hurting others hurts you (e.g. the bumblebee's loss of its stinger after it stings), but is that really necessary? Aren't there more poignant (and more pressing) moral examples one could use (if one felt the need/inclination)?

Alright, enough deep thinking for one evening...back to MST3k and the silly giggles it engenders.

EDIT - Ok, I did a bit more research and it looks like my above idea for a bumblebee moral would only perpetuate another line of misinformation...since bumblebees can sting without losing their stinger...losing stingers upon stinging (and the abdominal rupturing death which follows) is the sad plight of the honeybee.

Cool, I surfed my way out of ignorance twice today...now on to find an article reminding me that the internet is not a good source of educational information...;-)

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Robin V. Chen - Yoga Teacher said...

Hmmm....very interesting. You're a smart one!

You go to England to study history and you end up learning about physics. :)

I did learn in school (in a class about evolution) that you could never have human size bees because their wings would not support their size at that proportion. Not exactly sure how that works though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home