Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Making handmade journals

Just a quick post about homemade Christmas gifts that I have made in years past. I'm not making many gifts this year since I have visa immigration issues to sort out, tax returns to file and a doctorate to finish, but in other years I have been very crafty.

The most fun crafty Xmas gifts were the hardbound journals that I made for friends and family in 2005. They really weren't that difficult to make and with only moderate expenditure (I think I spent around 40 GBP for all materials/supplies/equipment needed), a few easy to follow internet tutorials, and a dozen or so heavy hardbacked history books (for pressing weight) I made 12 journals in about a week.

The straightforward tutorial that I used can be found here, which makes hardback journals like the ones I made below (although, I think I needed to find another tutorial to explain how to do the mitered corners). Happy bookbinding!






1 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger mooncalf said...

They look great. Although 'straightforward' isn't the first work that springs to mind when I look at the tutorial - gulp!

Any more handmade gifts from me are going to have to wait until next year. I'm off to Yorkshire to deliver my presents tomorrow after work so there's no time for any extras...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home