Thursday, May 17, 2007

Being quoted is cool

A warm hello from your long absent blogger.

During my hiatus some helpful events transpired, so I'll begin the update with them. First, I've finally figured out a schedule that effectively integrates paid work, research, writing, and my small bit of social time left between eating and sleeping. I've also begun to make some significant improvements in the processes/procedures at paid work, which means I no longer leave feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. That is one of the most beneficial things that has happened over the last month or so - I finally have control over my life again. Yippee!

In research news, I've had two meeting with my supervisor and my work (which was derailed for a bit last term) is finally back on track. This has made me breathe another big sigh of relief. I've also been having more discussions with OPP2 about researching poverty. One of our most recent discussions culminated in him asking if he could quote some of my research from my MA thesis in his DPhil...woo-hoo! It's my first (known) citation in an academic work! Very cool.

Right now, I'm finalising the chapter (yep, the same one...it just doesn't want to be finished I tell you!). After that, I'm going to revisit my MA thesis and rework one of the chapters into an article that I will try to have published in a journal. I'll let you know how that progresses.

In football news, Spurs ended the season 5th in the league! Since the top 4 teams (Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal) always tops the league each year, 5th place has become known as the new "1st". They are, in effect, "the best of the rest" (the rest being all those outside of the "big 4"). Awesome news for Spurs as it means they will once again be playing in Europe for the UEFA Cup competition.

I've also been busy (with 3 other co-conveners) planning the Social, Cultural and Economic History seminar series that we will once again run next year. We're excited about our potential speakers and that it was successful enough this year to make it worthwhile to continue.

Also, also, the Portland Timbers season has started and it has been fun (albeit bittersweet) to follow their triumphs and woes so far this season. Some of my wonderful friends back in Portland have sent me surprise Timbers themed care packages which have helped immeasurably to lessen the sadness of being away. Thank you Howie, Katie, Betsy, Gisele, and all the US cidergirl contingent!!

Well, I think that will have to be enough for now. I have another deadline I'm working to, so must get back to writing. Will try to make sure my next update is much sooner than the last.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow...you really should think about politics. Your ability to spin that 5th place finish by Spurs is quite something...;)

Hope all is well. Sounds like academic life is going well although you gotta enfuse this blog with some gossip as well girl!

You and I are in the same boat vis a vis the Timbers. In some ways it is more painful that I am here in PDX. I wish I was there so the temptation would not even exist. As it is I feel like a howler monkey behind bars.


P.S. I think you became a Spurs fan just to torture me...either that or make sure I read your blog. :P

P.P.S. My "word verfication" for this post is "niceaze" he he.www.talktui

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Me, gossip? I think not, my life is completely boring. ;o)

I feel your pain about being removed from the Timbers, but at least you get to witness the glory of the insanely large North End, even if it is as a howler monkey...

Becoming a Spurs fan had to do with football-related reasons only. However, that decision came with some fun bonus side-effects. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home