Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Novel news

As is often the case, in the wee hours of the night I found myself blindsided by an explosion of creativity. However, it wasn't my normal "a-ha" inspired moment. Instead, it was a rare moment of what could be creative genius. This possibly perfect creative moment dealt with an idea for that "novel I want to write someday." You know, the novel I haven't thought about for at least 6 months now...

Even so, last night's creative storm thrust me squarely into the chief designer position of an entirely new imaginary world. A world expansive and complicated enough that in four hours it spawned storylines for two novels and one short story. CRAZY, I know. I have no idea how it happened. One moment I was trying to sleep and the next moment an amazing idea flew through my brain. It must have come straight from the gods. Actually, that's more than likely because the idea happens to spotlight them, and we all know how self-centered gods can be.

Unfortunately, my plate is currently heaped with vital projects, so this exciting addition needs to be left to simmer. Regardless, solidifying my ideas for "the novel" makes me very happy. Depending on the status of my DPhil work at the end of term, I may try to draft the short story for submission to Yog's Notebook (the new quarterly sf/fantasy/horror 'zine my friends Audrey and Lucas just started). However, that idea could prove to be overly-ambitious. Still, I look forward to the time when I can focus more on creative fun - whenever that may be.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news. You know I've been long anticipating the novels that you have hidden inside. I'm sure this will be an enjoyable and lucrative endeavor for you. It's so hard to put off creative and fun things in order to continue working on important but somewhat mind-numbing projects, but that's just what you have to do somethimes, huh? Sometimes this is not so much fun. Or maybe I'm just projecting my school burnout on you! Oops! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home