Sunday, October 08, 2006

Random ramblings regarding repetition

Welcome to the end of the beginning of the middle of my Oxbridge education. I hope you've reserved a good seat for tonight's monologue because there's lots to cover and I wouldn't want your bottom to get sore. Comfy? Ok then, here we go.

As I sat here feeling a bit ill and listless (more on that later) it dawned on me that this past week has been all about repetition. Specifically, it has been about repetitions of beginnings - academically: the start of term, writing my first chapter; socially: meeting all the new Freshers, going to the new College parties, etc; and physically: becoming "pseudo-veggie" again (still no land meat, but now eat fish and all crustaceans and mollosks).

Many of the things I have done this week are things I have done before, and some (like the academic beginnings)are beneficial and exciting. However others, mainly the social and, possibly, the physical have questionable benefits and seem to generate tedium instead of excitement. If this is the case, then why do I still find myself beginning these things? Perhaps some are necessary, but are they all? To answer this question it seems imperative to look at some of this week's repeated activity and try to judge whether or not its benefits outweigh its drawbacks. I invite any and all feedback from family and friends, so please feel free to share your thoughts. Here are the most questionable of my week's experiences grouped by life category:

Part 1 - College Social Life

0th week: "Classes" have yet to begin, but this is the week when all of the College and University administrative/financial deadlines hit. It is also the week when all of the Grad Freshers and undergraduates move back into College - therefore it's the big "Social Week" of every term - most importantly of Michaelmas term (the first term of every academic year) because this is when all the Freshers get to know each other and everyone else. Therefore, this week is defined by most in College as the week of general overindulgence and debauchery - all traditionally culminating in the Emily Carr Party which is held the Saturday night of 0th week, every term (click the link to read my earlier thoughts on last year's ECPs).

Now, I am by no means someone who shies away from social interaction and definitely have been known to have my overindulged and debauching moments. Still, no matter how many times I try to throw myself into College social activities, they just don't click with me...honestly, I'm beginning to feel somewhat strange about that fact. I mean, I've really tried to make it work. Just last night, I went to the Emily Carr party with my new flatmates (all of whom I get along with well), but I still was completely done with the experience after about 45 minutes. The atmosphere is simply too socially claustrophobic for me. There were probably 120 people there (many who were very nice), but I felt like I was having the same conversation with everyone I spoke to. Seriously, how is that fun? Having now gone to my fair share of these events and never walked away from them meeting someone who became even a good aquaintance, let alone a friend, I have to question whether they continue to be worth my time. Perhaps I'm being too harsh, and should keep making my Cinderella appearances. At this point, I'm just not sure.

Need a potty break? Here's your chance...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...now, on with the show.

Part 2 - Dietary Fun

Dairy vs. Flesh: When I made the Vegetarian leap last New Year, I wasn't worried about an unhealthy decrease in my diet's protein levels. Being an ovo-lacto veggie meant that any protein I needed could be provided not only with beans/nuts but also eggs and dairy products. This, in theory, remains true. And for the most part I am quite thrilled with the benefits of my veggieness. In particular, I love how so much of what I eat provides me with a feeling of light and healthy energy.

Unfortunately, a problem arises when I introduce too much dairy into my diet. It's not a big problem - I don't think I'm lactose intolerant or anything - but my body does seem to be rather "dairy disgruntled" and eating too much fresh cheese, milk, ice cream, etc makes me feel completely sluggish and rather queasy. Strangely enough, when the cheese is cooked it doesn't have the same effect (I have the same weird problem with onions...cooked onions are fine, but I have a slight allergy to raw ones...??). Anyway, my dairy issues caused me to decide this week that I needed to vary my protein sources a bit more to see if I can find the right diet for me both morally and physically.

There are many reasons why I chose not to include seafood except bi-valve mollosks when I fist became veggie. However, this would take another intermission in order to explain. Suffice to say that my moral reasons for being veggie are that I don't think it's right for me (just me, I don't project my dietary feelings on others) to eat things that I couldn't harvest, collect, or kill on a daily basis. Since I would only kill a cow out of extreme necessity, I will only eat a humburger under the same conditions. However, in my past I have caught/harvested, cleaned and cooked many sea creatures. While I may have felt conflicted about it at times (ie boiling crabs/lobsters alive) I know I have done it and could do it again.

When I coupled this logic with my need for more varied protein, the choice to expand back into the seafood world seemed to be a given. By last Wednesday, shrimp and salmon fillets once again graced the shelves of my fridge. A few shrimp-filled pasta and rice dishes later and I counted my seafood reintroduction a complete success. However, tonight, my grilled maple salmon fillet not only tantalised my tastebuds but enduced a state of groggy lethargy...boo. Now I'm a bit worried...does this mean both meat and dairy make me feel sluggish if I eat too much? Should I just stick with the ovo-lacto diet? Again, I'm just not sure. Perhaps more experimentation is needed?

And so ends this rather random rambling regarding repetition. Please insert any and all comments in the box provided. Many thanks.

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be jumping to conclusions, but do you think the lethagy and sluggishness might have more to do with the debauchery than the salmon?;) Just a thought. - Jo xxx

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Robin V. Chen - Yoga Teacher said...

Hm....maybe keep a food journal for a little while to pinpoint what's working/not working for you?

You could also try the Ayurvedic route to figure out what foods are good for your dosha type :)

I totally know what you mean about social gatherings too. I've become much more of a small group or one-on-one person recently. The big gatherings just drained my energy.

Good luck figuring out the food mysteries!

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think overindulging in anything whether healthy or otherwise leads to the sluggish lethargic feeling and the problem perhaps does not lie in the what, but the how much...

As for the socialization of the very social princess... well, I think you are growing up my dear. I have the same feelings at various mixers, etc., and just prefer to get to know my friends better, relax with a fun game of cards, a bottle of vino and some interesting conversation... even when thrown into larger party situations, I tend to gravitate toward the known and make a small party out of it anyway.

Have faith - a new semester always brings mixed feelings... it will pass and you will be smiling again :)

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tifferknee You are doing so well re your veggie/shellfish/salmon. Do think the salmon was too much too soon!Give yourself a few more weeks before eating it again..your tum will be more easily able to handle it. Shrimp is a good starting place..just boiled with ketchup and dash horseradish or lemon juice then shrimp cooked with pasta for few more dinners then alternate and 4 or more weeks from now try pan frying a small amt (size of deck of cards)of that salmon in a tab. butter and acup of milk over low fire for 20 min and you will find it loverley and sitting well on your tummy and all will be fine!!Iknowbecause that is the Norge way to cook salmon..hooray!!Have the clothes fit and worn??I do hope so..let me know, ok? Oh do add a boiled potato(takes 45 min cut in half pealed or unpealed whichever you have time for! Vasha goe(Norge for ENJOY!!)xxxGrandma and GPa says "me too"

 
At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home