Tuesday, May 16, 2006

We won!!!

Today marked my entrance into the competitive world of the female footballer. Even though the official season is over, we still have a few friendlies against other colleges this term. LCWFC usually plays outdoors, but today's matches were scheduled as 2 five-a-side indoor games, the first against St. Anne's College (who didn't show so we won by forfiet), and then the second against Sommerville (who we crushed 2-nil!).

Since some of my footy friends know I have a fondness for strong defense/defenders, I was hoping to play defense (which the captain agreed would be a good place for me). She even asked me on the walk over to the complex if I would consider playing goalkeeper, since they don't have an "official" keeper for the team right now (I guess their normal keeper left this year). I said "sure, I could try that" so maybe at some point I'll be the crazy one throwing my body in front of blindingly fast balls. That didn't happen today though. Strangely enough, today I wound up playing Forward mainly because after we arrived at the match some people hadn't been able to come and left us with only one Forward. I was up for playing any position since at this point I'd really like to just get more of a hands-on (or hands-off, really ;) ) feel of the game. Playing Forward was cool and the other Forward, Solange - who seems to be the best player Lincoln has, and I worked really well together. I can proudly say that I set her up with a solid pass for one of the goals she scored against Sommerville. So I assisted!! I feel really good about how I played, and how everyone on the team played, today. The girls are all really nice and while winning is something we strive for, it's the fun that's mandatory. I can tell it's going to be a great situation to help me grow in my understanding of the "beautiful game."

Speaking of beauty and the game, here's a shot of some of the Lincoln players (we're the ones in the light blue jerseys/shirts) in the second half against Sommerville. Since we had 1 extra new player, I subbed out after the first half so she could play in the second half (that's when I was able to snag this shot). Hope you like it!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Lucas said...

Congrats on soccer success, Tiff! If you start playing defense, maybe the Timbers could sign you up! They gave up 6 goals this weekend...yuck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home