Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Give me your pillow...

One of the first things I learned after moving to the UK was that sleep is a precious gift. For my first three months here, I averaged about 5 hours of sleep each day, usually between about 5-10 am. Frequently, I couldn't sleep at all. After the third week of trying to explain my insomnia as "jetlag" I began to wonder if I would ever sleep normally again. Then, two months passed and I still had insomnia. At that point, my situation seemed incurable. As I'm sure you can imagine, lack of sleep coupled with trying to settle into the Oxford experience made for a very challenging term. I realize some may scoff and think "pthbtt...I've done plenty of things on 5 hours of sleep perfectly well." To those, I submit two truths:

  • You haven't done those things well.

  • I need more sleep than you.

Now that we have that cleared up...;) back to my insomniatic whining. So, after months of sleeplessness, I thought I had licked the problem over the holiday break. Five weeks of de-stressing, movie watching, and holiday cheer, also marked the celebrated return of my normal sleep cycle. Heck, just this morning, I woke up at 7 am - well before my alarm went off, and after a full 8 hours of sleep. Life was good.

If life's happiness is determined by sleep (and if I wasn't a blackjack-only kind of girl, I'd put a chunk of change on that), then life at 2:40 am ain't so hot. My archnemesis, insomnia, has returned. BUT, thanks to my loving parents, I do have a new secret weapon. When all else fails, Tylenol PM can kick some massive insomnia butt. Tylenol PM seems to be on the UK MIA list, along with the Bounce dryer sheets. Just took one of those little blue bad boys a few minutes ago, and I can already feel my eyelids starting to droop. A big thanks to my parents for sponsoring tonight's sleeping experience. You guys are the best.

'til next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home